15/01/2014

Corner view / a good read

Here are the last 4 books I've read since December: 

1 / Goodbye Berlin (Tschick)
2 / Les oreilles de Buster / Buster's ears (Busters öron)
3 / Montecore, un tigre unique (Montecore: en unik tiger)
4 / Le soldat et le gramophone (Wie der Soldat das Grammofon repariert)

I wanted to select only one but the choice was too difficult because my two favorite are very very different. So here is a summary of each book. I confess I found these two abstracts on the internet. It's always difficult for me to write "long & beautiful" texts in English.... ;)

...............................................................................................................

BUSTER'S EARS
Swedish novel
"Buster’s Ears tells about the complicated relationship between a mother and daughter at the same time as it tells about love, trust and betrayal. It alternates between the present and the 1950s and 1960s, between life by the sea and life in the big city, between the grown-up woman and the child. It's also about modern society’s inhumane eldercare. This is a powerful and unsettling relationship drama as well as a tender, bittersweet love story." via

...............................................................................................................

GOODBYE BERLIN
German novel
"A journey into the countryside...in a Lada. With his mother in rehab and father away on a business trip with his young lover, Maik is home alone in his parents’ villa. It’s the first day of the summer holidays. Together with Tschick, a German-Russian from the tower blocks on the wrong side of the tracks in Hellersdorf, Maik shows up in a stolen Lada at Tatjana’s birthday party, a girl he’s head over heels in love with. Soon after, they’re tearing through the German countryside in the blazing sunshine, heading ever further south east, to Walachei, where Tschick’s grandfather lives. This latest novel by Wolfgang Herrndorf is a story of an impossible friendship between two boys - a road novel packed with melancholy and humour." via

This is Kristin from Li+Belle who made ​​me discover this novel. I thank her because it's always nice to read people's lives, habits, places of other countries. That's why I like reading foreign novels so much.

...............................................................................................................



Corner View is a weekly appointment - each Wednesday - created by Jane, hosted par Francesca where bloggers from all corners of the world share their view on a pre-arranged theme.To see more CV visit the Francesca's blog! Join us if you want.


14 commentaires:

  1. You have read four books in less than two month? Respect.
    This is more than I've read voluntarily in my life ;)

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Merci pour ces belles découvertes !!! Je note à chaque fois !!

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. I did not know these books, I shall look for them now! And you are indeed a good reader! Une tres belle semaine a too!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Just added both of these to my list - thanks! (This week's corner view is going to cost me $$ - as I've already added three books to buy!)

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. thanks for the recommendations, I confess all of them are new to me. what strikes me here, are the beautiful book covers: is there anything that the French don't do better than the rest of the world? :)

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. hum...complaining, be negative, not be good at languages, pretentious (?) ..... ;) I stop here :D

      Supprimer
  6. PS i just tried to find Maria Ernestam's novel on Amazon, and it looks like it isn't translated either in English or Italian!!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. What a pity! Perhaps the translation will be done soon.

      Supprimer
  7. Great new input, which I have to put on my list, too!
    Well, "Tschick" was there already... ;-)

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. Bonne année! J'aimerais bien lire Buster's Ears et merci pour ces découvertes!
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. Buster's Ears sounds especially good!:>)

    RépondreSupprimer
  10. My book list is growing.....

    RépondreSupprimer
  11. okay. so the buster's ears really attract me because of the complicated mother-daughter relationship. duely noted.
    the other book just really reminds me, in a very abstract way, of the book i suggested, the tartt one. so let's see how you feel, by the time you've read it... bon courage, but it reads like a train!
    n♥

    RépondreSupprimer
  12. the fun part of this weeks theme is that i discover so many more books to read!!

    RépondreSupprimer